Hubby and I were delighted to discover just how quick, easy and affordable it can be to set up a romantic date night at home by enjoying a simple chocolate fondue together.
Cheap Date Ideas Doesn’t Get Better Than This!
Here’s what you need to enjoy a Simple Chocolate Fondue date night at home:
1. Tea Light Chocolate Fondue Set
We bought a super cute Tea Light Chocolate Fondue Set from Facebook marketplace where we often find incredible items for creating an unforgettable date night at home. These include lanterns, picnic pillows, picnic tables, fairy lights and much much more! Not all of the items you can buy on there are secondhand either – many people are selling their unwanted gifts on there and things they just haven’t gotten around to using. I ended up buying two different Tea Light Chocolate Fondue Sets because I found a heart-shaped version with matching heart-shaped plates after purchasing a much more plain looking one initially. As a hopeless romantic, I’m a sucker for anything heart-shaped and couldn’t let it go 😛
Both sets cost me less than $20 each.
Having two sets can be a good thing as I can use both on the same date night but have different types of chocolate in each. I look forward to dipping my marshmallows in either dark chocolate, white chocolate or milk chocolate, and play with it!
2. Tea Lights – Plain or Scented
You can buy regular tea light candles cheaply from Kmart or Coles – the Coles ones cost around $10 for a 100 pack. I used some scented ones I bought a while ago from Dusk – they cost about $12.99 for ten and are available in beautiful fragrances like Vanilla Bean, Rose and Spices, Cherry Blossom & Musk. The extra bit you would spend on scented tea light candles are worth it if you’d appreciate a beautiful smell in the atmosphere of your romantic date idea at home.
3. Melting Chocolate for Fondue – the Cheapest and Best Chocolate for Fondue
We bought the Coles Brand Compound cooking chocolate, which was the cheapest we could find and melted perfectly and was incredibly tasty.
4. Marshmallows for your Marshmallow Fondue
We’ve used both twisty marshmallows and plain, but large marshmallows and both worked well for a marshmallow fondue.
You can also use fruit pieces such as strawberries, bananas and dried apricots or pieces of brownies, muffins or croissants.
5. Toppings for your chocolate fondue
You could dip your marshmallows into only chocolate, or you could then roll your chocolate covered marshmallows in extra toppings. We chose to have crushed peanuts and coconut as extras.
Have fun getting creative in coming up with ideas of what else you could use as toppings for your chocolate dipped marshmallows!
How to use chocolate fondue:
Once you have everything you need, here are the basic steps for enjoying a simple chocolate fondue date night at home –
- Put about two hand fulls of melting chocolate pieces in the main container of your fondue set and light up one or more tea light candles to place underneath it to melt the chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate pieces now and again to help it melt faster and check that it doesn’t burn at the bottom (two tealight candles can be too hot in some instances or help melt the chocolate pieces quicker).
- Once the chocolate is melted, pop a marshmallow onto a fondue set stick and dip it into the chocolate, taking care to cover all sides of the marshmallow with chocolate.
- Then roll the chocolate covered marshmallow in the toppings of your choice and enjoy!
I hope you can enjoy this date idea together – it’s undoubtedly been one of the best experiences we’ve had and continue to have when it comes to romantic dinner ideas for two at home.
Let me know in the comments below what toppings you enjoyed most! Or come and share photos of your romantic date night setup in the Facebook group Romantic Explorers, where you can inspire other couples or get inspired!
Save this blog to Pinterest by clicking on the image below: